Friday, August 24, 2012

Real or Fake Skin79 BB Cream?

Skin 79 Hot Pink Triple Function BB Cream

Real or Fake?


Hello!

So this is going to be a blog post concerning the famous Skin79 BB Cream that has many people raving on about it. I'll be telling about my first personal experience and, also, thoughts and updates concerning authenticity of the Skin79 Hot Pink Triple Function BB Cream in 2012.

As you may know, BB Cream is short for Beblesh Balm or Blemish Balm and is quite the trend in Asia - Particularly South Korea is known for its BB Creams. With the trend now spreading to other parts of the world, many people are eager to get their hands on these products... but... how can one do so if one doesn't live in South Korea or Asia? For international buyers, such as myself, we must resort to ordering from online buyers (Or, if lucky enough, we have a friend who lives in Asia who can buy and ship!)

Buying BB Cream Factors:

However, while buying online is quite easy, there are two main factors to consider:

Price & Authenticity!

Price: 
Money is always an issue and, of course, the cheaper an item is, the better! Some BB Creams are quite expensive and may not be within your price range. However, there are some sellers (eBay or Amazon) which may sell your wanted product for less! Something like that is bound to catch your eye! However...

Authenticity:
Buying a real, authentic BB Cream or a fake one is a huge concern. You wouldn't want to be putting something with unknown chemicals and ingredients on your face, would you? Neither does anyone else. Since the trend is quite big, many other companies are imitating the genuine BB Creams in order to make a profit and sell those off to unwary buyers. This is the biggest issue here!


My Pre-Story: (Read or Skip)

Now that we have those out of the way, I'll tell a bit about myself and my first time buying BB Cream. So I currently live in the United States and am a big fanatic on Asian culture (... Being Asian myself) Once I heard about BB Creams, I was itching to try them, but a number of things prevented me from ordering one.

1) I was pretty young
2) I was not sure if my parents were willing to buy something like a BB Cream for me
3) The issue of fake BB Creams

Well, I finally decided to go ahead and try a BB Cream, figuring "Hey, why not?" and I had decided to go with the Skin79 Hot Pink Triple Function BB Cream, due to having oily skin and its good reviews.
(Note: This is also one of the most popular BB Creams that are replicated due to its popularity)

This is where the issue of pricing came for me. Although I knew I could go ahead and buy a 100% guaranteed authentic Skin79 BB Cream from the North American website, I decided to go ahead and try my luck at other sellers first.

I first ordered from an Amazon seller called "SeoulGlamour" who has quite a high rating on Amazon. I ordered right away once I made my decision and this is where the cliche "Think before you jump," comes in. Once I had read this little discussion soon after, it caused me to be wary of what I had ordered. Knowing that once I open a package, there would be no opportunity for return, I decided to return the package rather than open and check if the product was real or not. I would be losing money, either way, but not as much.

One day after I ordered from SeoulGlamour and realized my impulsiveness, I decided to order from a recommended eBay seller named "Rubyruby76" who was recommended by the famous Bubzbeauty and a number of other Youtubers and users.

I'll be doing a little review on my experience with these sellers, but onto the discussion of the BB Cream I ordered!



Skin79 Hot Pink Triple Function BB Cream:

I looked at many websites and blogs to find posts which would help to differentiate between a real and fake BB Cream. Here are some of my favorites in order from oldest to newest:
(Note: When checking, I believe it's best to use the most recent one comparison you can find)

June 2010: BabyAdore
January 2011: The Beauty Bin
December 2011: * Vanity No Apologies *

I also searched for pictures of the recent pics of the BB Cream in 2012:
1 2 3 4

So, please check those out for a comparison because I do not think I can confidently provide one since I have only on BB Cream from an eBay seller. However, I will go through some details which I believe concern the more recent Skin79 BB Cream and have not been addressed to verify its authenticity.

Updated Authenticity Verification 2012: 

Factor #1:


Authenticity Label:

Skin79 has put on a label which verifies the product's authenticity. It should say it's from WIZCO which is the manufacturer and it must be clear of any letters or voids in the background. If you find dark gray writing in the background, it has been tampered with and is likely a fake.

Factor #2

 


Rubbing off of Letters and Glossy Effect:
This was an issue which I had found with Amazon sellers (Once again, referring to this discussion)
Apparently, the letters on the word "BB" and "Skin79" logo on the bottle should not be rubbing off and should have a rainbow glossy effect. If they do, it is likely a fake (Though I cannot guarantee this, but this is from my findings).

Factor #3:


Wrinkle Improvement:
Referring to the discussion mentioned in the previous detail, the words have changed from "Wrinkle Free" to "Wrinkle Improvement" in Skin79's recent package update in 2012. Apparently the change had been made earlier this year, so make sure that your BB Cream has "Wrinkle Improvement" written on it to ensure it's new and not an old BB Cream.

Factor #4


"Wriinkle"?:
This is really the only detail which I am not sure about, but I will be addressing anyways. On the inside of the box, there should be four sides of instructions written in four different languages. On the English instructions side, I have noticed that there is a misspelling of the word "Wrinkle" and it's, instead, spelt as "Wriinkle" with two "i's. I can't say too much on this, but I did find this issue addressed on Yahoo! Answers, as well. I am not sure if it is simple a manufacturing typo or not, but if someone has a 100% legitimate Skin79 BB Cream bought from the official seller and would like to help out, it would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE (1/06/13):
It seems that those who have bought from the actual Skin79 site have also reported the typo, so, if this is the case, I am guessing it is just a manufacturing typo and not a sign that your BB Cream is fake. Thanks to Heather who mentioned this!

Conclusion: 
For me, I believe my BB Cream is real with the exception of the unknown "Wriinkle" detail.

I believe that's all I'll be writing for this post. Look forward to my own review of the Skin79 BB Cream as well as reviews of the sellers and my experience with them (Packaging, contact, etc.). I hope this has helped!

 Note: All pictures and videos are taken by me. I apologize for the quality!

UPDATE!
(May 17, 2013)

It seems that the letters of the "BB" on my BB Cream have begun to rub off, as well. A commenter, Christi, had noted she had bought directly from the official Skin79 site and her letters had also fade away.

I have been using my BB Cream for the past year or so and have had no real problems with it. I have not taken my bottle with me anywhere so there was no real potential for any outside factors to damage the labeling. I believe that the rubbing off of the letters does not prove the authenticity of the BB Cream.

The most important factor to consider is the genuine security label!

19 comments:

  1. Great article. Can't wait to read about your seller review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment! I have updated the post with some videos and pictures if you would like to check it out again!

      Please look forward to the seller and product review.

      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  2. I have found other response on the web from people that purchased from Skin79 directly and they also report the typo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so it is a manufacturing typo? That is something!

      Thank you so much for the information! ^o^

      Delete
  3. My BB cream has all of the markings as to be real, but after four months the label has started to rub off (well, I used my nails...)
    Do you think this is normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... it could have possibly started to rub off due to damage or perhaps exposure to some external conditions such as heat. Do you constantly carry your BB cream around?

      I would also check the consistency. Make sure it has stayed the same and if you start to see a kind of clear liquid or oil coming out when you pump it, I would say throw it away.

      Delete
  4. It is very common with the skin79 bb creams for the letters to rub off. Many people are misinformed that say they are fake if the letters rub off. I have skin79 bb creams purchased from authorized resellers such as sasa.com, imomoko.com,pretty&cute.com & skin79 north America, and ALL of them the letters bb and the skin79 logo on the front of the bottle easily rubbed off within a matter of days or weeks. This is not a sign that it is a fake, this is obviously an issue with skin79's quality control. By the way, I am pretty sure rubyruby76 does sell authentic products, I have also ordered from her, & the product was the exact same as the Ines I got from authorized resellers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG for real ? my online seller also gave me skin food and the face shop samples , everything was nice ¡ but I started to freak out when I noticed the letters fading away... I had carried it inside of a pouch and the voila letter rubbed off
      :(

      Delete
  5. omg I need to know if is a great problem if my letters BB and skin 79 rubbed off, I bought it from an online seller ,when I received it matched with al the characteristics of a authentic one( I 've been very careful with this ) and I have to say that the product does wonders for my skin, but.. started to freak out when these letters started to rub off.... please anyone knows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I`m confused, I got my BB cream from Rubyruby, but I`m a affraid that it`s a fake one.
    It didn`t have the genuine security label, and a small amount of cream run out on the box. And "wrinkle improvement" is on the paper box, and on the product is written "wrinkle free".
    Beside of that, everything else seems ok.
    What do you think-fake or real?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Snow!

      I apologize for the late reply! I will be updating my post on the BB Cream!

      I'm pretty sure that the BB cream you have received is a fake unfortunately >_< The biggest give away is the security label. The other factors I believe just further prove that your BB cream is a fake D=

      Delete
    2. Rubyruby76 sells counterfeit. Or maybe I was just unlucky. She sold me a fake Nature Republic aloe vera gel. I don't know why so many people are recommending her because when I left a feedback about the counterfeit product, she wrote me an email asking me to retract my feedback and offering to give me a full refund if I agreed. That means she KNEW that she was sending me a fake product, though I have no idea why. Perhaps it's because my shipping address is based in Germany and there are no Nature Republic stores here? Unfortunately for her, I am Singaporean and right before I came back to Germany for winter semester, I actually bought a tub of the aloe vera gel from the NR store in Singapore. I paid 9euros including free shipping, so this item is by no means "cheap". I wasn't looking for a cheap deal when I purchased from her ebay store. I simply wanted to replenish my diminishing tub. I'm writing this email because I hope to raise cyber awareness about Rubyruby76. I thought she was a good choice because I did some research and almost all the bloggers recommend her or her store )RoseRoseShop). This must mean she sends counterfeits selectively. Probably only to countries without the brick-and-mortar stores.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a Skin79 Hot Pink BB cream from a legit store here at Montreal Canada, It has no security label. They said Skin79 stop placing security label on their product since around Dec 2012. So, if you have a 2013 product, then it wont has a label. My Hot Pink BB cream has dated as 2013-03-18.
    I also got Skin79 VIP Gold BB cream. It has security label on it and it's dated as 2012-03-16.
    As for the letter, no matter how hard I rub it, it wont come off, I even try to scratch it with my nail but it just wont come off.
    Other than these, the 'wriikle' typo in hot pink box still there inside the box, but no typo in VIP gold box.
    Hope this help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i did a lot of research before buy my bb cream, and new bottle design manufactured after december 2012 onward no more authenticity label. you have to check it out the dotted lines in the back of the box, bar code must be in the botton of the box and and inside, the instructions are 3 languages, the bottle of the real one is more shorter and in the press boton on the top must to be silver or gold depends which bb cream your are buying, but never white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skin79 does no longer use the security label, they stopped that somewhere in the beginning of 2013, so if the manufacturing date on the bottle (it's on the bottom) says it was produced in 2013 it doesn't have the sticker.

    I have the snail nutrition bb cream. I purchased it from ebay for only 12 euro, which is approximately 15 dollars. " cosmeticmarket2012 " is a very reliable and cheap seller ! :)

    thank you for the review I loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just be careful of Rubyruby76 aka Roseroseshop. Rubyruby76 sells counterfeit. Or maybe I was just unlucky. She sold me a fake Nature Republic aloe vera gel. I don't know why so many people are recommending her because when I left a feedback about the counterfeit product, she wrote me an email asking me to retract my feedback and offering to give me a full refund if I agreed. That means she KNEW that she was sending me a fake product, though I have no idea why. Perhaps it's because my shipping address is based in Germany and there are no Nature Republic stores here? Unfortunately for her, I am Singaporean and right before I came back to Germany for winter semester, I actually bought a tub of the aloe vera gel from the NR store in Singapore. I paid 9euros including free shipping, so this item is by no means "cheap". I wasn't looking for a cheap deal when I purchased from her ebay store. I simply wanted to replenish my diminishing tub. I'm writing this email because I hope to raise cyber awareness about Rubyruby76. I thought she was a good choice because I did some research and almost all the bloggers recommend her or her store )RoseRoseShop). This must mean she sends counterfeits selectively. Probably only to countries without the brick-and-mortar stores.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been two years since I bought BB Creme online, but I used to get it from yesstyle directly from South Korea. Now, they don't sell this anymore, so I don't know where to get it.

    ReplyDelete